Government - Library
6670 US 1 South, St. Augustine, FL 32086
In 1874, St. Augustine opened the oldest library in Florida as a “subscription library.” The library was called the St. Augustine Free Public Library. Patrons gave money to help buy books for the library, and there was no charge to check out items.
By the 1970s, there were three independent libraries in St. Augustine, Hastings, and Mill Creek serving the residents of St. Johns County. Through the hard work and dedication of many supporters, especially the members of the Association of American University Women, a Library System was born.
On September 27, 1977, the St. Johns County Board of County Commissioners voted to establish a Library System for the County along with a Library Advisory Board. Within 10 years, a new 15,000 square foot Main Library would be opened followed by the construction of five more branch libraries and the addition of two bookmobiles. The growth of St. Johns County has been mirrored by the growth of its Library System!