The Bridge of Lions is a staple of St. Augustine’s skyline. Spanning the Matanzas Bay, which is part of the Intracoastal Waterway, connecting the Old City of St. Augustine with Anastasia Island. It is a double-leaf drawbridge, providing clearance for boat traffic.
The bridge is named for the stately pair of stone lions at the base of the bridge on the west end. The Carrara marble Medici lion statues, named “Firm” and “Faithful,” were created as copies of statues found in the Loggia die Lanzi in Florence, Italy. The lion statues were a gift commissioned by Dr. Anderson to the Romanelli Studios in Florence, Italy, which a decade earlier produced two smaller lions which he displayed on the front steps of his home. The Bridge of Lions has a sidewalk on each side and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Medium type: Carrara Marble
Date created: 1927