Built in 1898, The Waterworks was once the pumping station for the City’s first water utility during the Flagler Era and remained in service until 1927 when a new water plant opened in 1927 on West King Street.
In 1928, The Waterworks was converted into a community center, making it one of the earliest adaptive use projects in the city’s history. It was the Little Theatre of St. Augustine, a home for the St. Augustine Arts Club, and later the St. Augustine Garden Club.
The Waterworks was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2014 for local level significance for its association with Jo Conn Guild, a nationally significant engineer, and F.A. Hollingsworth, one of St. Augustine’s most prominent architects.
In 2022, the St. Johns Cultural Council began leasing from the City of St. Augustine to dramatically increase residents’ access to arts, culture, and heritage programming, and provide much-needed space for St. Augustine-based organizations to meet and host community events.