Henry Morrison Flagler

The bronze sculpture of Henry Morrison Flagler stands on a black marble base at the entrance of the former Hotel Ponce de Leon, now Flagler College. The realistic figure strikes a relaxed pose. He wears a vested suit and knee-length overcoat. The tip of his right shoe extends just beyond the sculpture base. Sporting a bushy mustache and short slick hair, the distinguished gentleman tucks his right hand into his pants pocket, almost as if reaching for his wallet! The bronze was likely cast in Rome in 1902 and was erected by the National Railways Historical Society. The sculpture faces the old Hotel Alcazar across the street, where it once stood before being moved to its present location in 1972. It’s no surprise the Spanish-inspired architectural treasures along this corridor complement each other. Henry Flagler built them all.

 

HISTORY

Born on January 2nd, 1830 in Hopewell, New York, Henry Flagler achieved success at an early age in the grain business in Ohio.  With his partners John D. Rockefeller and Samuel Andrews, Flagler built an oil refinery that emerged in 1870 as the Standard Oil Corporation. Within five years, it was the largest and richest industrial company in the world.

Flagler first visited Florida in the winter of 1878 when he traveled to Jacksonville with his frail wife on doctor’s orders. Two years after her untimely death, Flagler returned with his second wife. He was instantly charmed by St. Augustine and imagined building a Renaissance-inspired winter pla

View more
Collection: Touch STA

Medium type: Cast Bronze; Marble

Date created: 1902

Contact information

    Website
/