In 1873, Reverend Richard James began working to build the first St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church in St. Augustine where the Willie Galimore Center is located today.
The congregation worshiped there until 1888 when they were offered a lot to build a larger church on School Street in the Lincolnville neighborhood to accommodate the growing membership. Members attended services on St. Francis Street from 1903 until January 1904 when William and Frances van Dyke purchased a lot and two-story frame building on St. Benedict Street for $1,000, one block from Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue.
Reverend E.F. Williams was assigned to the church and is remembered as the architect and builder of St. Paul AME Church, awakening a new hope in the hearts of the congregation. He served the congregation for four and a half years, leaving behind a beautiful brick-veneered church.
The church has been a hub for community activities and played a major role during the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s. Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Andrew Young, Hosea Williams, Ralph Abernathy, Jackie Robinson, and other civil rights leaders met with participants and encouraged them from St. Paul’s pulpit.
In June 2023, the church celebrates 150 years.
May 14, 2023
Jun 10, 2023
Jun 11, 2023
Relics of America's Gilded Age are elegantly exhibited on the museum's three floors. Costumes, furnishings, mechanical musical instruments and other artifacts give you a glimpse into 19th century daily life. The Lightner collection includes beautiful examples of cut glass, Victorian art glass and the stained glass work of Louis Comfort Tiffany.
The Historic Florida Militia (HFM) is a non-profit umbrella organization supporting re-created historic interpretive units and representing a number of cultures and time periods. "We are not street performers, we are educators. We are not parades, we are historic programs. This is not an exercise in free speech, this is an opportunity to educate. We are not promoting a political agenda, we are promoting the city's history through a practical and factual teaching method".
Cultural Center at Ponte Vedra Beach
CCPVB is a non-profit 501(c) (3) arts organization located in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida dedicated to providing a place for everyone in the Jacksonville region to create, understand and experience the arts. We bring the arts to our community through art exhibitions featuring local, regional and nationally known artist; art classes and workshops for children and adults; children's summer camps; and creative events that support educational programming. Our outreach programs serve children with disabilities, special education needs, and low income families.
Crisp-Ellert Art Museum at Flagler College
Built in honor of Dr. JoAnn Crisp-Ellert and her husband, Dr. Robert Ellert, the Crisp-Ellert Art Museum offers Flagler College students and the Northeast Florida community a venue for fostering knowledge and a deep appreciation of contemporary art. As an educational resource for the College, the Museum exhibits regional, national and international artists, and provides opportunities for critical engagement and exposure to a variety of exhibitions and personal interactions with visiting artists. The Museum challenges students, the Flagler community and the public to cultivate individual creativity, critical reflection, historical consciousness and respect for the free exchange of ideas. In this spirit, the Museum also hosts public programs, including artist talks, readings, panel discussions and film series that provide a platform for vital interdisciplinary dialogue.
The general purpose of this corporation [EMMA] is to stimulate interest in classical music throughout St. Johns County, FL and to encourage interest in and to provide opportunities in classical music for the youth of the county.
The mission of this corporation is to produce a number of quality music and dance performances every year and to offer them at modest ticket prices to the residents of St. Johns County and tourists visiting or planning to visit St. Johns County.